5.13.2011

retail is not rocket science.

According to Wikipedia, customer service is defined as the provision of service to customers before, during, and after a purchase. Micah Solomon, quoted in Inc. Magazine, states that the perceived success of such interactions are dependent on employees “who can adjust themselves to the personality of the guest.” This is the key point. A good c.s. person listens to the needs of the guest, helps them find what they are looking for or gives them to someone who can better assist them, and makes sure they leave satisfied, wanting to come back.

Young people often enter the retail field thinking that the industry is an easy job where they can do the minimal amount expected because it’s just retail. I’m here to say, “NO! Absolutely not!”

At any job, I understand that everyone has off days- they aren’t feeling well, are tired, or are having a bad day. Everyone has times when things go awry and people/customers get angry; however, there are people who just don’t belong in the c.s. industry. Over the course of my life I’ve run into too many rude, uneducated, lazy people to count and after leaving each experience I’ve thought, “Why did this person apply for this job?” Maybe they were really gung-ho at first and then lost that spark and settled into a cold, hardened shell of a person. But even then, why would you stay in a job that you hate and turns you into an extremely salty human being?

I have my monthly prescription filled at Duane Reade in SoHo. I dread picking up my prescription because I absolutely hate the girl who works at the pharmacy. She doesn’t smile, hasn’t been nice to anyone as far as I’ve seen, and will blatantly ignore you if you’re standing in line in front of her. Her lack of “I’ll be with you in a moment” leads me to the conclusion that she has no soul.

I was raised to work hard, earn my keep, and not expect anything. Entitlement is not a becoming quality and I have met a lot of people who think they deserve the crown jewels just for showing up. Customer service is not hard, but one has to actually want to be helpful. I think the main challenge is keeping a good attitude and adapting to the needs of each person you work with.

Lastly, doesn’t everyone like being helped if needed? Having someone available to answer questions? Not ignore you??? “Treat others how you want to be treated” should be part of everyone’s life motto no matter what job you hold. I mean, have some freakin pride in your work!

end of rant.

No comments: